Friday 16 May 2008

About PCA Chat

This is a blog about PCA, which stands for Posterior Cortical Atrophy. PCA is a rare variant of Alzheimer's Disease which affects the visual functions of the brain. I was formally diagnosed as having PCA in my early 60s and have now been living with the condition for the best part of 10 years to date.

I wanted to create this blog to share strategies that may be useful for me and others similarly afflicted for coping with the bizarre effects of PCA - for example ways to cope with using telephones, computers, diaries, as well as reading and answering printed letters/mail, shopping, public transport, dressing oneself etc and generally getting through life in a world that is not usually accomodating for someone who has visual problems but is not blind in the conventional way.

I am a UK resident and have support from my local National Health Service Primary Care Trust, my local Alzheimer's Society group, aswell as a PCA support group at the National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery at the University College London Hospitals and I hope that this blog will be useful for anyone looking for support and advice from anyone who knows about this condition.

1 comment:

noel said...

Thank you graham for sharing your story, my wife rita has recently been diagnosed PCA in Australia, and she was so happy to have me read your story to her. any little bit of information helps, and chatting with someone with the same problem is worth gold.please put up more posts if you can, thanks
noel